Foods with Benefits!
Recipe by Kathy for lunchboxbunch.com on June 17, 2012. Creative Commons Licensing.
We’re a big fan of delicious foods that also contribute to your overall health and either boost your energy level – or at least don’t detract from it – and are a lot of fun to eat, as well. We’ll be profiling a wide variety of options. For today, check out:
Makes 7-8 large pancakes
3-4 Tbsp peanut butter, softened
3 Tbsp rolled oats
3 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup vanilla soy or almond milk
1 tsp flax seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 large bananas, sliced
safflower or coconut oil for pan
1. Combine flax seeds and soy milk. Let stand for at least 2-3 minutes to thicken.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Stir peanut butter and agave or maple syrup into the flax/soy then fold this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold in the apple cider vinegar last.
4. Heat a small drizzle of safflower oil in a nonstick pan.
5. Pour batter onto hot pan. When pancakes start to bubble through – add banana slices to wet batter and flip. Cook for another few minutes and transfer to paper towel to cool.
6. Serve with fresh bananas and a nice drizzle of agave or maple syrup.